2004 CWDI Report on California Based Fortune 1000 Companies and Top Financial Institutions
2004 CWDI Report on California Based Fortune 1000 Companies and Top Financial Institutions focuses on 105 California-based companies that are ranked within the 2003 Fortune 1000 listing. The study found that women held 12% of board seats in the region.
- 74.3% of 105 California-based Fortune 1000 companies have women directors.
- Only 12% of corporate board seats are held by women in the 105 companies.
- In the F500, California surpasses the national percentage of women on corporate boards: 14.3% of board seats are held by women in California based F500 companies compared to 13.6% female representation on boards nationally.
- California-based companies ranked from 501-1000 have a much lower percentage of women on their boards: 9.2% — a significant 5.1% drop from the F500 companies’ percentage of women directors.
- Ranking first with the most women on its board is Golden West Financial Corporation with five women directors out of nine (55.6%). It has the highest percentage of women directors in the F1000 with more women than men on its board.
- Ranking second is Wellpoint Health Networks, Inc. with four women out of nine board directors (44.4%). Health care corporations are well represented in the Top Ten Companies with the highest percentage of women directors — Wellpoint Health Networks, Inc. (2nd), McKesson Corporation (3rd), PacifiCare Health Systems, Inc. (7th), Apria Healthcare Group, Inc. (8th), and Davita, Inc (8th).
- The California industry with the best percentage of women directors is the finance industry with 33.3% of board seats held by women.
- Sectors that fared badly in placing women on their boards are the computer (9.9% female directors), semiconductor (4.4%) and entertainment industries (9.4%).
To order a copy of the 2004 CWDI Report on California Based Fortune 1000 Companies, please click here